Vital Records


Here you will find the information you need regarding vital records (Death Records, Birth Records, and Marriage Records.)  Per State law, those requesting vital records must have a direct and legitimate interest in the matter recorded.  Additionally, records will only be given to requestor if they fall into one of the following categories:

  • The person requesting the document is the person on the record
  • The person’s spouse
  • Is a registered domestic partner
  • Father
  • Mother
  • Guardian
  • Family Descendant
  • Attorney
  • Agent

Request for Birth Certificate

Request for Death Certificate

Request For Marriage Certificate

To request a record, please fill out the vital request form that pertains to the record you are requesting.  Copies of these documents are $15 for the first copy and $6 for each additional copy purchased on the same day.  Please send the completed form along with your required proof of identification to the Hermon Town Office at 333 Billings Road, Hermon, ME 04401.

If a person is requesting a document, they must show proof that they fall into one of the categories listed above.  This may include a certificate of domestic partnership, marriage license, guardianship papers, birth certificate proving lineage, notarized statements from family members, etc. The following will not be granted access to vital records:

  • Step parents – Step children – Grandparents – Aunt – Uncle – Niece – Nephew – Cousin
  • Mother in law – Father in law – Boyfriend/Girlfriend – Fiancé – Friend – Neighbor – Ex spouse

Persons requesting vital records must show proof of identification.

The applicant must show ONE of the following:

  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • Government issued picture I.D.

Or TWO of the following:

  • Utility bills
  • Bank statements
  • vehicle registration
  • Income tax return
  • Personal check with address
  • A previously issued vital record
  • Letter from government agency requesting record
  • Department of Corrections I.D. card
  • Social Security card
  • DD 214
  • Hospital; birth worksheet
  • License/rental agreement
  • Pay stub
  • W-2
  • Voter Registration card
  • Disability award from SSA

If you are establishing eligibility to acquire a vital record, one of the following must occur:

  • Related applicants must provide proof of lineage
  • Domestic partners must provide proof of registration of domestic partnership
  • Attorneys must provide a signed, notarized release from family
  • Genealogists must provide a State-issued card.